André 3000 is taking a surprising turn with his debut solo LP, New Blue Sun, showcasing his talent as a flautist rather than a rapper.
From rap icon to flautist: André 3000 set to drop ‘New Blue Sun’ album
André 3000, renowned for his rap skills, is now venturing into new territory with New Blue Sun.
Dropping on Friday, 17 November 2023, the album spans 87 minutes and is far from his usual hip-hop beats. NPR reports that the album heavily features various flutes, including contrabass, Mayan, and digital wind instruments.
The album’s tracklist alone is intriguing, with titles like I Swear, I Really Wanted To Make a ‘Rap’ Album but This Is Literally the Way the Wind Blew Me This Time and Ninety-Three’Til Infinity and Beyoncé.
These tracks hint at André’s playful creativity and the unconventional path this album takes.
Here’s the full tracklist:
- I Swear, I Really Wanted to Make a “Rap” Album But This Is Literally the Way the Wind Blew Me This Time
- The Slang Word P(*)ssy Rolls Off the Tongue With Far Better Ease Than the Proper Word Vagina. Do You Agree?
- That Night in Hawaii When I Turned Into a Panther and Started Making These Low Register Purring Tones That I Couldn’t Control … Sh¥t Was Wild
- BuyPoloDisorder’s Daughter Wears A 3000™ Button Down Embroidered
- Ninety-Three’Til Infinity And Beyoncé
- Gandhi, Dalai Lama, Your Lord & Savior J.C. / Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, And John Wayne Gacy
- Ants To You, Gods To Who?
- Dreams Once Buried Beneath the Dungeon Floor Slowly Sprout Into Undying Gardens
Since the 2006 Outkast LP Idlewild, André has stayed away from full-length releases, contributing to tracks here and there.
He’s been somewhat of an enigmatic figure, occasionally seen in public with his flute. His whimsical yet reclusive nature has always intrigued and amused fans.
The album emerged from jam sessions with renowned percussionist Carlos Niño, later adding keyboardist Surya Botofasina and guitarist Nate Mercereau.
André expressed to NPR his desire to share music that truly resonates with him, leading to the creation of New Blue Sun.
“It’s not like I don’t try or it’s not like I have a lot of these songs just sitting—I have songs but it’s not like rap things that I really feel happy about sharing. And really, that’s the most important part. I have to feel happy about sharing it. That’s why New Blue Sun was something that I realized, whoa, I really want people to hear it. I really want to share it,,” he said.