YouTube Shorts, TikTok – which one is the best?
Short videos have become a terrific part of content creation. Here’s a comparison between YouTube Shorts and TikTok.
YouTube introduced Shorts in September 2020, and while it is not really like TikTok, it takes a very similar format, that’s literally everything that TikTok is — a short video platform. These apps are mainly used by young people as a platform to express themselves through singing, dancing, comedy, and lip-syncing.
Both these video-sharing platforms have a huge following. YouTube has over 2 billion users in over 100 countries, between the age of 18 to 34 years. More than 70 % of users watch using mobile phones, which is highly likely YouTube decided to launch a TikoTok mimic feature. It’s good for people on the go and really good to pass time, anytime and anywhere. The number of channels earning six figures per year on YouTube grows more than 40% yearly. On the other side, TikTok had 62 million downloads in January 2021, according to Wallaroo Media. The platform has 7 million users in South Africa.
YouTube Shorts vs TikTok
What is Shorts?
With Shorts, you can create 15-second videos or less, according to the YouTube Team, the tool is meant to encourage users to create more, get discovered, and get other users to watch the content.
How to create with YouTube Shorts:
- Shorts has a multi-segment camera that allows you to string together more than one clip
- You can add a song to your video if you want to
- You have an option to manipulate the speed of your video
- A hands-free timer that will make it easier for you to record
How you can create with TikTok
Here is how you can create a short video with TikTok:
- Your short video will be between 15 and 60 seconds
- You can set your speed, effects, filters, and templates.
- Add one piece of music.
- Press and hold the red button to record.