Apple users have been gifted with droves of new bug fixes and cool features in the iOS 15 update.
iOS 15 update: What are the new features?
Central to the new operating system update are features that increase connection and sharing capabilities as well as getting the most out of the supreme intelligence of the next generation iPhone and iPad devices.
“iOS 15 is packed with new features that help you connect with others, be more present and in the moment, explore the world, and use powerful intelligence to do more with iPhone than ever before,” Apple teased in their rollout announcement.
The new iPhone 13 has this new operating system installed. So, the update is to bring the rest of the herd along. Here are the new features that come with the iOS 15 update:
- SharePlay: Ability to watch movies and other streaming content while on a FaceTime call
- Cast your screen to friends on FaceTime. Everyone watches the same content and synced playback and controls allow real-time reactions.
- Virtual listening sessions are now possible via FaceTime. The whole group can see what’s next and add songs to a shared queue with synced playback and easy-to-use controls.
- Share entire screen with callers on FaceTime.
- Spatial audio: Individual voices sound like they’re coming from the direction in which each person is positioned on your screen.
- Grid view for group calls on FaceTime.
- Portrait mode is now available on FaceTime for compatible devices
- New mic modes: Voice Isolation minimises background noise and Wide Spectrum leaves ambient sounds unfiltered.
- Schedule and Share FaceTime calls on Calendar with unique meeting link
- FaceTime callers can now invite Android and non-iPhone users to join calls.
Messages and Memoji
- Shared With You: Links, images and other content shared with you in Messages are featured in a new Shared with You section in the corresponding app. This features works on the following apps: Photos, Safari, Apple News, Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV.
- Photo collection: Multiple photos sent in Messages can now be viewed as a collage or in grid view.
- Memoji: You can now choose outfits and multicolour hair for your Memoji and express yourself with new stickers.
This is a new set of tools that allow users to prioritise their time and attention.
- Match device to your mindset: Choose from a list of Focus options or create your own to allow only the notifications you want.
- Status signal: Set your status and inform friends and other contacts in Messages that you’re either busy or available.
- Redesign: You can now see contact photos and larger app icons to make them easier to identify..
- Summary: Daily notifications summary intelligently ordered by priority, with the most relevant notifications at the top.
- 3D city experience: Maps now have unprecedented detail for roads, neighbourhoods, trees, buildings, and more.
- Driving features: Maps now includes road details like turn lanes, crosswalks, and bike lanes; street-level perspectives as you approach complex interchanges; and a new dedicated driving map that helps you see current incidents and traffic conditions at a glance.
- Augmented reality: Walkers can get step-by-step directions with the ability to view Maps in augmented reality.
- New transit features: Commuters can now get up-to-date information on nearby stations and transit times and lets you pin favorite routes to the top.
View the full list of iOS 15 features right here.
Which Apple devices are compatible with iOS 15?
Here is a full list of Apple iPhone devices that are compatible with iOS 15.
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone Xs
- iPhone Xs Max
- iPhone Xr
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
How to download and install iOS update
Here is a step-by-step guide to successfully download and install the new iOS 15 update:
- Create a backup of your device on iCloud or your computer so you have a copy of your important information. See this guide on how to backup your device.
- Make sure that your device is fully charged and connected to the internet with Wi-Fi. It’s important to note that the new update will not download or install if it is not connected to Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update
- You may see two software update options available. You can choose to stay on iOS and iPadOS 14 and still get important security updates. To update to iOS and iPadOS 15, choose that option.
- Tap ‘Install Now’.
- Don’t fiddle with your device until the new iOS has been successfully updated.
- If you are using an Apple Watch, a message will pop up on your accessory after you’ve installed iOS 15 prompting you to update to watchOS 8. Features of the new Apple Watch update can be viewed here.