Knowing plants that are harmful to your pets is very important because as much as they are good for purifying the air and making a home look and feel fresh, they might be deadly for your furry friends. It gives you a chance to either place them out of reach or find other alternatives that will consider your pet.
House plants that are harmful to pets
Here are six plants that you might have not known are dangerous for your pets
Aloe vera is a common house plant that has many benefits, but it is not good for your furry friends. The plant contains anthraquinone glycosides which are laxatives and can result in vomiting and diarrhoea.
The monster deliciosa plant is a very popular plant that is used in a lot of home decor. It has a tropical look that adds a nice interesting element to a house and it is easy to maintain. However, it contains insoluble calcium oxalates making them highly toxic to cats. Some of the symptoms include burning of the lips and mouth, excessive drooling, oral swelling, and vomiting.
The jade plant is also referred to as the money plant. It is a type of succulent plant that has a nice deep green colour and it is thought to bring luck. The Spruce says there are several different varieties of jade plants, all belonging to the family Crassula, but they are also very toxic for cats dogs and horses. They can cause symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy and depression if ingested.
Mother-in-law’s tongue or snake plant
The long spikey leaves of this plant might be an interesting exploration for pets, which should not be the case because the snake plant can cause gastrointestinal signs like drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea if digested.
English Ivy is another beautiful and delicate plant. It is a popular plant that is usually hung from the wall because of its amazing drapery. However, it is extremely toxic to cats and it can cause weakness, vomiting, throat swelling, excessive drooling, dermatitis, rash, and ataxia
Peace Lily might be peaceful for you but it is not for your pet. When digested it can cause vomiting, oral pain, drooling and a loss of appetite