Why KITH x Disney FW19 collection is all the rage right now
- Five SAPS officers charged with kidnapping - 21/10/2020
- Elaine joins Columbia Records: Here’s everything we know about the deal - 20/08/2020
- Watch: Skeem Saam latest episode for Monday 22 June - 22/06/2020
KITH may have flexed with a range of collaborations on its FW19 runway, in September, but everyone has been anticipating the classic Disney mashup.
What we know about KITH
KITH is an urban retail outlet based in New York City, US. The brand was founded by renowned sneaker connoisseur, Ronnie Fieg, about nine years ago.
The brand has maintained its exclusive and enigmatic feel since it’s been around. That is why you will only find two of its locations in the Big Apple. There is a KITH outlet in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Revered as a serial collaborator, KITH retails an impressive catalogue of its own apparel and footwear collabs, as well as a number of renowned streetwear brands.
The reputation the brand has garnered over the years can be attributed to Fieg’s notoriety within the realm of sneaker culture.
After all, he has had an impact in collabs with PUMA, ASICS, New Balance and others.
A closer look at the FW19 Disney collab
As a way of commemorating the 90th anniversary of Mickey Mouse, Disney’s iconic character, the brand, during its runway show, in September, presented the very first collab with the staple.
The theme of the collection was threaded under the Best of KITH for the best of Mickey’s milestones.
The collab is available in different categories, the most expansive being the men’s apparel range, which sports custom renditions of Mickey’s eras that span from the 1920s to 2019.
To really showcase an era, KITH called up the timeless canvas of the Converse sneaker, which, aesthetically-speaking, perfectly captures the essence of the 1970s.
The brand used the Chuck Taylor 1970s silhouette to create three tri-branded versions.
- The first is a classic canvas that features Mickey Mouse’s face printed on the upper with used as eyelets of the shoe;
- the second model is in black leather and displays a timeline of Mickey Mouse through the years; and
- the third model is entirely Sherpa fleece and colour-blocked in Mickey Mouse’s iconic colour palette.
For the kids
Things were taken less seriously on the kids’ range, rightly so. The range features styles for different age ranges, including hoodies, tees, denim jackets, onesies, and accessories.
When will the FW19 collection drop?
The collab releases Monday, 18 November at all KITH shops and at 18:00 CAT on their website.