Polokwane police have closed their investigation into an alleged serial killer with a heap of evidence pointing to one man — a 34-year-old Zimbabwean national.
Polokwane serial killer: Here’s how he was captured
In a statement, police confirmed that the 34-year-old, known only as Themba Dube, faces charges of rape, murder, kidnapping, defeating the ends of justice and robbery.
The suspect appeared briefly at the Seshego Magistrate’s Court where he indicated his intention to abandon his right to a bail application.
The tall and lanky foreign national, unassuming at first-glance, is said to be the serial killer who tormented communities in Seshego, Polokwane, Mankweng and Westernburg. According to police spokesperson Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo, separate investigations into the disappearance of seven women were linked to the 34-year-old when he was arrested “for possession of a suspected stolen cellphone.”
“Police later established through investigations that it belonged to a woman who was allegedly kidnapped in Lebowakgomo last month (October 2021),” Mojapelo explained.
This crucial discovery led investigators down a rabbit hole of clues and finally, using information from the suspect and other leads, detectives managed to develop the killer’s alleged pattern.
Each of the seven women who were discovered in various bushy areas in Seshego, Polokwane, Mankweng and Westenburg, had left their homes saying they were meeting with a man who had promised them employment.
It’s believed Dube lured the women to different locations and allegedly raped and killed them.
The 34-year-old undocumented Zimbabwean has been linked to all seven of the murders and faces life imprisonment.
Here are the victims of the alleged serial murderer
The victims discovered thus far have all been reunited with their respective families, after a gruelling identification process.
Here is a list of the known victims of the alleged Polokwane serial killer:
- Sarah Moitswadi Mathiba, 42, who was reportedly kidnapped at Lebowakgomo in October 2021.
- A 34 year-old Lesotho national, Moleboheng Mothibeli, who was reported missing in Polokwane, in October 2021.
- Eva Khomotso Makhura, 41, who was reported missing at Seshego in October 2021.
- Mpho Sanah Sinyatsi, 34, who was reported missing in October 2021 from Luthuli Park Extension under Seshego policing area.
- Andrea Cholo, 25, reported kidnapped at Seshego during September 2021.
- Chisimango Gumbo, 48, a foreign national who was reported missing at Seshego during August 2021.
- Jane Letswalo , 42, whose body was found next to Peter Mokaba stadium in Polokwane during August 2021.
“The work of the investigating team is highly commendable and will send a clear message to criminals that the police are more than determined to hunt down all perpetrators of Gender Based Violence and Femicide,” Limpopo Lieutenant General Thembi Hadebe said.
The suspect will return to court on Thursday 27 January 2022. Until then, he will remain behind bars.
Limpopo police are still combing through missing persons cases in Seshego, Polokwane, Mankweng and Westenburg to find links to Dube.