Cape Town taxi violence: Motorists targeted in turf war [video]
Motorists have become a target in Cape Town’s taxi violence.
The Cape Town taxi violence that’s gripped the Mother City in fear has morphed into a full-scale war and motorists, it seems, are also targets.
Cape Town taxi violence: Two suspects arrested
According to the province’s police, at least two suspects were placed under arrest and charged with attempted murder following an incident that took place in Langa township, on Monday morning.
Early risers bore witness to a horrifying scene when a private minibus that was picking up workers was showered with a hail of gunfire.
The taxi, fortunately, skirted the incident without any of its occupants harmed. Police say two males have been charged with the shooting which early indications suggest has something to do with the ongoing taxi turf war.
“Two males, aged 45 and 55, have since been arrested and detained. Once charged, they are expected to make a court appearance in the Bishop Lavis Magistrate’s Court,” police spokesperson Warrant Officer Joseph Swartbooi said in a statement.
This video clip was taken by an eyewitness who captured the gob-smacking moment the minibus was attacked.
#taxiviolence This is apparently the shooting of this morning near Langa taxi rank, Cape Town. No one was injured. Apparently the @SAPoliceService arrested two suspects. Video showing suspects shooting at passing vehicle. Video received… @BOSBEER2006 @MARIUSBROODRYK pic.twitter.com/j9I4xzChjN— BOSBEER.COM (@BOSBEER2006) July 19, 2021
Alternative transit options for Cape commuters
At the time this article was published, law enforcement officials were investigating a series of shootings related to the ongoing taxi violence.
Last week, Western Cape Premier Alan Winde had celebrated a ceasefire called by taxi associations. However, it seems, this peace was short-lived.
On Monday, several taxi ranks in townships like Langa, Nyanga, Mfuleni and Khayelitsha were out of service.
Commuters might see another week of no minibus taxis in some parts of the city of Cape Town.— Sisonke Mlamla (@SISONKE_MD) July 19, 2021
I manage to take pictures at Mfuleni taxi rank, with no minibus taxis on site. @TheCapeArgus @IOL pic.twitter.com/fDBc256zqv
Commuters have had to made alternative transport options to get to work. But, it seems, agents involved in escalating the taxi violence may be targeting motorists and other transport alternatives in a bid to render the city’s transit system inoperable.
A Golden Arrow bus driver was shot in the face and rushed to hospital where he is in critical condition, on Monday. Police have yet to issue a statement on this incident but according to reporter Natalie Malgas, early indications suggest that this was related to the turf war.
[JUST IN] Golden Arrow says intelligence reports suggest this incident could be linked to ongoing #taxiviolence.— Natalie Malgas (@nataliemalgas) July 19, 2021
A driver is in hospital after being shot in the mouth during the 6h30 commute on the N2. No passengers were injured.
Gugulethu SAPS on the scene. pic.twitter.com/MJNfTqR12X